Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

Recently, Ive been told that I scream while sleeping, but

Recently, I've been told that I scream while sleeping, but I can't remember anything!
I have been experiencing trouble sleeping for about 2 years now. I got used to it I guess, I just can't stand not being able to breath anymore and waking up every few hours!
I don't think stress is the reason for what I'm experiencing, since having a hectic life style is normal for me.
I don't know what to do about it?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Do you have anxiety in general?
Do you have trouble falling asleep?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, I can be anxious sometimes, but it's nothing unusual. I have trouble sleeping in general & when I do it's not peaceful at all. I can go for weeks sleeping 4 hrs per day!

I have rapid heartbeat & my physician told me, my lack of sleep is one of the reasons.

I dont know if that information would be helpful.

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for waiting.
It sounds like you have trouble sleeping in general.

As you may have tried, you may need to get a physical check-up by your primary care doctor to detect and rule out any medical condition that may cause sleep disturbance.

Then, if you are physically fine, you may stick to your sleep schedule. Go to bed and get up at the same time every day. Don't watch TV and use your computer in your bed. Also, don't go to bed either hungry or stuffed. Do not use or take nicotine, caffeine and alcohol. These substances may interrupt your sleep cycle. In addition, you may try to relax yourself before going to bed -
taking a warm bath or shower, reading a book, or listening to soothing music with the lights dimmed.
Create a room that's ideal for sleeping. This means cool, dark and quiet. Choose comfortable mattress and pillow.
In general, distance yourself from destructive situations or people. Yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Guided imagery, and massage therapy may help you to relax and sleep better.

If nothing seem to improve your sleep, you may go to a sleep disorder clinic for treatment in your area.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,

P.S. Please remember to click the green ACCEPT button. You do not get charged twice; I will continue to answer your question whenever I am back online; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Olsen" in the front of your new question. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience: PsyD Psychologist