Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

My step daughter is currently a patient in Northeast Baptist

Customer Question

My step daughter is currently a patient in Northeast Baptist hospital. She is 53, has never really been self supporting and has lived in San Antonio with her mother for the past 20 years. She kept telling her mother she was looking for work and her mother believed her. It was my experience nearly 30 years ago that she would say this but not really be looking. She has diabetes, which she has not taken steps to treat properly or has not taken medication/doctors advice. Her foot became injured and has had to be amputated. Her mother, who is 78 cannot care for her any longer. What can we do? We need a long term solution for her care. She has a college education and there was no diagnosis that we know of that would preclude her from having a job, though she has never been fully employed or kept any job for very long. I live in AZ. What is available to us in TX as options?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your step daughter's situation.
It sounds like she has had mental health problems.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
What diagnosis she has based on her doctor's assessment?
Does she have social security disability?
How old is her child?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No she(Jenny) does not have social security disability, but I think she is in the process of applying. Her daughter is 19 or 20 and graduated from high school last year. There is no diagnosis other than diabetes. Either she didn't take her medication or didn't see a doctor recently so the diabetes was out of control. Her blood sugar levels rose over 700 and she was nearly unconscious when taken into hospital. That's when they discovered the problem with her foot. It was infected, gangrenous and was amputated.

Apparently in the past, her mother tried to get her to counseling, but she refused to go so there is no other diagnosis beyond this recent hospital stay.

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
I will be back with my answer.