Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I am a divorced single mom of 3 sons. my youngest 16 yr old

Customer Question

I am a divorced single mom of 3 sons. my youngest 16 yr old verbally abuses me and is very hurtful. his father has not been in his life much and now hes saying he hates me and hates living here and wants to live with his dad He has a wonderful life and i cant understand why he abuses me so much. he has total respect for his father and says he hates me and im the one who raised him and was always there for him...he has my heart broken
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear caring mother,

I am so sorry that your son is being so defiant and hateful towards you. There is a childhood disorder called Oppositional Defiant Disorder, and it does require attention and treatment. Over half of the children with this disorder become worse and get Conduct Disorder, which can become Antisocial Personality Disorder when they reach adulthood, and can have a life of violence or other criminal activity.

You would be well advised to seek therapy for your son from a child psychologist who specializes in Attention Deficit and Disruptive Behavior Disorders (they often go together). I urge you to find a good therapist and make him go.

I also highly recommend that you purchase and read this book that will inspire, comfort,and help you on your journey to reestablishing your relationship with your son. It is available on amazon.com and elsewhere.

The Dance of Defiance: A Mother and Son Journey With Oppositional Defiant Disorder by Nancy A. Hagener

I hope this answer helps and inspires you.

Warm regards,
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC