I am a 35 year old mom of a daughter at 9. I was finally diagnosed this month with bipolar
2. My daughter is having severe problems with consentration, sleep, anxiety
and depressions, and have just started the testing to find the diagnosis. I have read about Aspergers syndrome, and thought that she fitted right into the discription. At the clinic(after seeing her once) they claim that she is a typical ADD
-girl. In my opinion there is more to it than that, but I could be wrong offcourse...
My questions are:
1. Considering my own bipolar disorder, is it more likely that my daughter is authistic or has that aspect nothing to do with it?
2. Since she is having severe mood-changes and depressions at that early age, is that common with ADD?
3. Would it be easy to differ an Asperger from an ADD-diagnosis?
4. I recognise myself in her. Is it possible for a 9 year old to be bipolar? I fear that she is...
She has had one incident with halucinations, she has meltdowns that last from 10 minutes to over 3 hours, has difficulties sleeping
even with melatonin, she´s wetting the bed almost every night, thinks very negatively about her self and feels less worth than her peers. She plays better with younger kids, have an unusually strong interest in animals, and in periods this is all she can think of, and it can be very destructive.
Don´t you think this looks more like an Asperger child than an ADD child? I feel that I´m not beeing heard...