cathy
cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health

I am a 35 year old mom of a daughter at 9. I was finally diagnosed

I am a 35 year old mom of a daughter at 9. I was finally diagnosed this month with bipolar 2. My daughter is having severe problems with consentration, sleep, anxiety and depressions, and have just started the testing to find the diagnosis. I have read about Aspergers syndrome, and thought that she fitted right into the discription. At the clinic(after seeing her once) they claim that she is a typical ADD-girl. In my opinion there is more to it than that, but I could be wrong offcourse...
My questions are:
1. Considering my own bipolar disorder, is it more likely that my daughter is authistic or has that aspect nothing to do with it?
2. Since she is having severe mood-changes and depressions at that early age, is that common with ADD?
3. Would it be easy to differ an Asperger from an ADD-diagnosis?
4. I recognise myself in her. Is it possible for a 9 year old to be bipolar? I fear that she is...

She has had one incident with halucinations, she has meltdowns that last from 10 minutes to over 3 hours, has difficulties sleeping even with melatonin, she´s wetting the bed almost every night, thinks very negatively about her self and feels less worth than her peers. She plays better with younger kids, have an unusually strong interest in animals, and in periods this is all she can think of, and it can be very destructive.

Don´t you think this looks more like an Asperger child than an ADD child? I feel that I´m not beeing heard...

Sincerely,

Beate(Norway)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 2 years ago.

cathy :

Hi thanks for writing JA

cathy :

are you there?

cathy :

hello?

Customer:

Hello :)

cathy :

Hi so nice to see you

cathy :

your english is so great

cathy :

are you norwegian?

Customer:

Thank you! Yes, I am a norwegian.

cathy :

Your english is great

cathy :

I have read your post

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX know :))

cathy :

I am not sure if you know this but 65 percent of people who have been told they have bi polar disorder do not

cathy :

so You are pretty confident you are not one of those people and that you do have it?

cathy :

is this right?

Customer:

Ok, is it something you know much about?

cathy :

you have taken all the tests?

cathy :

so you know this?

cathy :

Yes actually I know a great deal about this

cathy :

but I am asking you if you feel you are correctly diagnosed?

cathy :

do you feel as if this is right?

Customer:

I´ve taken alot of tests. At first I was tested for Aspergers, but they finally concludet with bipolar 2 and tourettes...

cathy :

okay I see

cathy :

do you have more questions for me before we go on?

Customer:

Yes, I actually do.

cathy :

okay good, please ask

Customer:

No, sorry - that was the answer to your question if I feel I am correctly diagnosed:))

cathy :

okay very good

Customer:

I don´t have more questions right now.

cathy :

you would know this better than I would so thanks for that

cathy :

okay clearly there is something going on with your daughter

cathy :

I would so hate to put a label on this as she is so young

Customer:

Yes, there is!

cathy :

and I dont think you can say bi polar disorder at this age

cathy :

but the other most overdiagnosed disorder is add

Customer:

I also should mention that she has been through a rough time with leukemia as well....

cathy :

aha

cathy :

so she has experienced some trauma as well

cathy :

is she okay?

Customer:

But she had symptoms before she got ill with cancer.

cathy :

oh my

cathy :

I am so so sorry

cathy :

you must have gone through such hell

cathy :

I cannot even imagine what you have been through

Customer:

Yes, she is done with the treatment this december. But as you see, there is many things that have had an impact on her condition. The problems have gotten much worse after the cancer-treatment...

cathy :

Oh yes

cathy :

I am so so sorry about this,

cathy :

is she okay now? is she doing better now?

Customer:

No, it´s been tough times....:) And my condition have worsened as well in all this...

cathy :

I am so so sure of thaty

cathy :

thayt

cathy :

thaty

cathy :

that

cathy :

geesh I cannot even type as this is so upsetting tome

cathy :

okay listen

cathy :

she cannot be diagnosed with any mental health disorder until she is six months out of treatment so I want you to be at peace with this

Customer:

Yes, we don´t think so much abot the cancer now. It´s been treated, and we are moving on:) But these other things does not make it easy...

cathy :

they cannot make a differential diagnosis until she is six months out of therapy

cathy :

okay so wait six months after the chemo and then you can get a clean evaluation

Customer:

Ok:)

cathy :

but please please do not worry

cathy :

you have been through so much already

cathy :

according to the DSM IV which is the manual we all use

cathy :

she cannot be diagnosed for six months

cathy :

so no matter what

cathy :

no matter what

cathy :

you have to wait six months and if any child goes through hell its a child like your child

cathy :

so you have to wait and see how she recovers

cathy :

do not worry about add or aspergers

cathy :

just continue to be a great mom and wait this out

Customer:

Yes, I see. I know I should be patient....

cathy :

I already know you are doing this but you have to wait this out

cathy :

Its so hard to be patient when its your kid right?

cathy :

When its our kid we want immediate answers right?

Customer:

Yes! Especially when she missed 1,5 year of school already!

cathy :

Oh my

cathy :

You must have been so scared?

cathy :

I cannot even imagine the hell you have lived.

Customer:

And its so hard with her concentration and all, so I´m probably hoping for a miracle with a diagnosis or something...hehe.

cathy :

and what I have to tell you

cathy :

is that its too early to label her even if she had not endured cancer but especially because she did

cathy :

she has been to hell and back

Customer:

No, but it´s funny how you adapt into such situations. It becomes your life, and its not all hell....

cathy :

so she is very vulnerable

cathy :

so dont rush to judgment on this

cathy :

give you and she time to heal

cathy :

please do not label this child just yet

cathy :

give her time and give you time too please

cathy :

You are very intelligent and very thoughtful

cathy :

so give this time please

Customer:

Yes, thank you! It´s good just to be reminded that we need time.

cathy :

let her recover for a few months and then go for an evaluation again

cathy :

I wish I could do more to help

cathy :

but please wait on this

cathy :

give her a few months more please

cathy :

You too, give yourself a lot of space and time MOM

cathy :

you have just been through so very much

Customer:

Yes, I will! Thank you :)

cathy :

please please take good care of you as well

cathy :

Night now and will keep you in my prayers

cathy :

take good good care

cathy :

bye

Customer:

Thank you again! Bye :)

cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience: MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health