TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Drs are testing me, the mother of a 13 and 15 girls for ms.

Drs are testing me, the mother of a 13 and 15 girls for ms. I go for a lumbar punch next week. how do i discuss this with them?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

The best way to tell your children about your procedure is to be upfront and honest. Kids are very smart and realize when adults are not being honest with them or trying to protect them from the truth. Tell them what happened to cause your doctor to order this test and what the test may show. Give them an idea of how long the test will take and if there is any recovery time.

When telling your girls what is happening, leave out the disturbing details. Also, you can let them know if you feel scared but do reassure them that you will be fine and have very good care.

Let your girls ask you any questions they need to ask. Answer them the best you can but if you do not know the answer, it's ok to say so. Also, they may be curious enough to look up your procedure on line so prepare them that some of the information they see may not be accurate.

Make plans to keep them informed if they wish about how your test goes and your recovery. If there are any family or friends that can offer support to them while you are at the hospital, make arrangements. That way, they have someone to lean on while you are being tested.

I hope this helps,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do i talk to them before the test or wait until the result or when i start the meds?

I would talk with them before the test. If you wait until after, they may feel left out or hurt because they did not know what was going on.