Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

I am not sure if this is an issue or not - but I am at a complete

I am not sure if this is an issue or not - but I am at a complete lost as to where to seek help. I have been gradually becoming disinterested in everything and everyone in my life. I could not care less about going to classes or paying my bills or any other necessary activity in my life. Normally I know in the very least I would be motivated by the consequences of failing to do these things but I am simply not anymore. I often find myself staring into space blankly living the life of alter egos in my head. Given the option (or not) I can sit and stare into space for an entire day. The rare emotions I do feel come in like large electric shocks. If someone reprimands me, I might not feel it or sometimes it simply blasts me with pain. I even thought of cutting myself to stimulate emotion but I just couldnt find the interest in doing that. It has taken me months to actually talk to someone. Even now, it feels as if I am totally disconnected from this message. I have not experienced any significant trauma or changes in my life. I dont even know if this is a psychiatric problem. Im only asking because recently my mind has been wandering towards suicide. Or intense hatred or anger at absoloutely nothing. I would like to know if this is an issue that needs to be addressed or simply something I need to pull myself out of.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

I am so glad that you decided to ask someone about your issues/concerns. What you are describing sounds a lot like clinical depression, not just sad or depressed for a day, but a serious psychiatric issue. Yes, you should be concerned and yes, you should seek help. Depression is very treatable. The sooner you seek help the quicker you will respond to treatment. Do not delay, get an appointment with a counselor/therapist/psychologist as soon as possible. They will be able to assess what is going on with you and suggest treatment approaches which may include medication. If you are going to college, check to see if your campus has mental health services. Look up community mental health centers on the internet to see what is near you or go to to see if any agencies are listed near you. You deserve to feel better and seeking help will get you there.