Luann
Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.
50737979

my son has had schizophrenia for a little over 10 years. he

my son has had schizophrenia for a little over 10 years. he has done well until lately. he now believes he is not sick, and never was. he believes he does not need any meds. please help us know what to do. he has quit all doctors and therapist help. he refuses to see one. we don't know who to talk to to get him the help he needs.  please let us know what we can do ? marlene & john kagebein
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

Luann :

Hello

Luann :

I am sorry to hear that your son has decided to stop the treatments that were helping him to function. It is so difficult to watch a child made such horrible decisions. Unfortunately you can not make him go or participate in therapy or take his medications. When his behavior gets extreme you can take him to an emergency room for an assessment where they may be able to place him in a psychiatric unit. If he won't go voluntarily you can call the police and request their help. They can put him on a transportation hold and take him to the hospital for an assessment. It is very hard to wait for his symptoms to get so bad that you have to take these steps but it may be the only way to get the help he needs. I recommend that you talk to your county social service department to see if a social worker can assist you with resources.

Luann :

I also recommend that you see a therapist, maybe someone at the same clinic your son was seen so you can get support and guidance.

Customer:

I was told he would have to be a threat to himself or someone else for the police to help.

Luann :

That is true but "threat" can have a broad interpretation. If you feel scared or threatened by his behavior that is a reason to call. If he is not taking care of himself, attending to his basic needs, that could be interpreted as a danger to himself. If he is disrupting your daily life, awake at night, yelling, that could be interpreted as a danger to you. In most situations if the police show up and a person is not in touch with reality, hallucinating or psychotic the police are likely to take them to the hospital.

Customer:

we live in ar. I know there is not alot of help here. Thanks for your help. I hate to wait until he is really bad, but there is not another choice i guess.

Luann :

I realize how hard this is for you. I encourage you to get as much support as you can. Check our the National Alliance on Mental Illness, www.nami.org. They are a great organization for people with a mental illness and family members. They may even have a support group near you. Call your county's social service/social welfare department and ask what resources are available in your state.

Customer:

Thanks once again for your help. It,s a good feeling to have a place to go to ask questions.

Luann :

Good luck to you, your husband and your son. Hopefully through this experience he will realize that he must continue to take his medications and work with his treatment team.