mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

Hello, I have a bright 12 year old that has been caught stealing

Hello, I have a bright 12 year old that has been caught stealing from family and a home based business, she can pretty much have what she wants but has been stealing things from me and her brother who has left for the navy and is now over seas, I would not be so concerned if this wasn't her 4th incident which is telling me there is a problem, she says her hands tell her too take things and she can't control it, Her older sister was also missing some items that suddenly reappeared after questioning, over the past three months i have watched my daughter change, not seeing a loving child behind those eyes anymore, not really sure what to do at this point, punishment from her last episode, and still no change. where do i go from here?

LGC
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 2 years ago.
Good morning and welcome to Just Answer! First allow me to say that I am truly sorry to hear of the difficulty you're family is going through at present. Based on the information you've kindly provided it sounds to be one of two things that may be happening with your daughter. First, it's likely that she's experiencing an obsessiinal component to her behavior which is causing her to steal without thinking or on impulse. The other consideration is that there may be a psychotic component given her statement of her hands telling her to take things.

Regardless of which it is (my impression suggests that it's the former) your daughter would greatly benefit from seeing a child therapist or psychiatrist for a more comprehensive evaluation to determine the source of her behaviors. You would likely be able to attain a referral from her pediatrician.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX helps in answering your question as I want to be certain that you're satisfied with the answer and suggestions I've provided. If you are satisfied then I would appreciate your clicking the accept button. Though if you have any further questions please feel free to ask anything further.

Thank you again for the chance to help and I look forward to your response.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are there treatments that do not involve drugs? as i do not want her to become dumbed down. Feeling like there is a form of psychosis, as her father has taken his life and was a person who stole peoples things, and money. would that be a passable trait?

LGC
Hello and thank you for your follow up question. If the behavior is being drive by an obsession component then it can certainly be treated with therapy alone. I would suggest a therapist that is skilled and experienced in cognitive behavior therapy which helps to explore the impact of one's thoughts and the resulting behaviors. This approach would include worksheets to help her to identify triggers or prompts which drive the behavior. I would suggest starting off this way and working closely with the therapist to identify the response your daughter has to the treatment.

Given that there appears to be a family history of mental health conditions it's likely that it does have a genetic component to it but as to the extent of the condition...she would have to be a few years older to make a definitive diagnosis. The best thing to do is to get her started in therapy as soon as possible.

I hope that helps and please let me know if you have any additional questions before accepting the answer. I hope this finds you well
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your time, and knowledge. About how much are these types of sessions and do most therapist take insurance? I'am new to all of this.

LGC
You are indeed welcome as it's my pleasure to help. A lot of therapists do accept insurance and the best way to find one would be to call you health insurance carrier on their 800 number on the back of your cars and they can give you names and numbers of therapists that are paneled with them and therefore accept your insurance. You'll likely have a copay of about $20 or so depending on your plan. I hope this helps and let me know of any other questions before accepting as I want to be sure you're satisfied with the answer and your experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Feeling like there is hope, thank you again iam fully satisfied with my answers. continue to be blessed helping other people like myself, sometimes we are so shook up it seems like we are wondering around in the dark, appreciating the light.

LGC
You are truly welcome and I'm happy that I could help!! If there's nothing further I'd greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby officially giving me credit for the answers I've provided you. I wish you and your daughter the very best.
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience: Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience