Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

My 9 year old son wants to be the center of attention ALL the

My 9 year old son wants to be the center of attention ALL the time. He will act out for good or bad attention and we don't know how to handle this. He tries to control people and situations so he can "be the boss" in a game that's being played or a social situation. He is very disrespectful to his Dad , me, his Mom and his new step-mom. He is well behaved at school. Can you give us some advice? We've talked to him over and over and he knows he needs to work on these issues, but he isn't getting better---he is getting worse.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Remove him situation where he can be center of attention. Obviously he is competing for something at home different than school. Take a look at home situatuation. Talking isn't working. I think he is in "who loves me" struggle. You are the parents. Don't let him control stiuations, remove him from them -- and be prepared for kicking and screaming.