Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

I am OCD and addicted to gambling. What are my best resources

I am OCD and addicted to gambling. What are my best resources for this. The GA facility in my area is right next to the Casino. Don't know if that is a good idea.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

I am not a big fan of inpatient programs. You are literally restrained from gambling - what happens when you get out. Outpatient need not be specialized. Sometimes specialists are a bit "evangelical" and ignore root cause which leads to high relapse or substituting another addictive behavior. I would recommend counseling and a support group, not necesarily GA, but one that fits for you. You can try a few and see.

Customer:

When it gets very bad it starts out as "the thought" and it will escalate itself until is feels like a horrible gnawing that will not quit. I have overcome it before, but not usually until the next day and then I am glad I did not give in. I have been looking for some support groups, however the only ones I find are AA groups and I do not feel it is the same. I have looked at the 12 step program, and while it is a good program, the support groups are not there for this type of addiction. The closet GA group is about 20 miles away and right by the Casino that I love to go to. I know this is challenging to try to help me online, however, if you could look into the area I live and possibly give me something that will help me with the gambling issue or perhaps a good book. I understand that finding a counselor is the best answer, but I need someone more geared in this field. Thanks for your help. I live in Denison, Texas.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

are you on any meds for OCD?

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

What is your zip code - I have a directory that may help.

Customer:

I have not technically been diagnosed with OCD so no I am only taking Zoloft for mild depression. My zip code is 75020

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Vivian A. Collins PhD PC 483 Neva Lane DENISON, TX 75020

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

I don't have phone number or speciality, but her orientation is appropriate.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Not a lot in Denison......she may be aware of closer resorces if not right for you. Best I can do.