Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

I am a 70 year old married male. I am taking 10 m g of ciprolex

I am a 70 year old married male. I am taking 10 m"g of ciprolex and 75 m"g of venlafaxine a day. I suffer from anorgasma and rarely reach climax. Contributing to this is my type II diabetes and high blood pressure medication. I think, though, that it is mostly the psychiatric medicines which are affecting my reaching orgasm.

Is there anything I can do, or any change of medicine recommended, to help my situation. I should add that the psychiatric medicines I take today are very effective in treating my tendency toward depression.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Harold, sadly the psychiatric medications very frequently cause sexual dysfunction. The options for different drugs (that may have less frequent sexual side effects) typically have a risk of increasing blood sugar or Blood pressure. Sometimes the addition of wellbutrin helps but your MD really needs to check it for interactions with other drugs, and it is a long shot. In your situation, you have to find other ways for expressing sexuality. I would hate to see you change medicines as it is so difficult to find a combination that works, especially with other medical problems.