Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

I am a 30 year old female. I believe that I am a psychopath.

I am a 30 year old female. I believe that I am a psychopath. I i have learned over the years how to "fit in" but it is I know the words but not the music. Should I seek the help of a psychiatrist?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

What makes you think this? Is it causing you problems?

Customer:

i am currently in a relationship that i just walk through the steps in and now he is depressed and I am bored. Ever since I was about 14 I guess is when i remember that i realized i do not have the emotions that others have. I manipulate people to get what I want and don't care if it hurts them. I have lied to my husband plenty of times just to satisfy the urge. I even manipulated him into being with me thinking I could pretend I had a normal life

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

certainly not great traits, although don't know if psychopathic is correct term (label doesn't matter). What is making you care about this now?

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

how do you feel when you lie?

Customer:

I do not really care about him never really have and do not feel bad for doing this to him. He is my second husband and both he and my first husband have threatened to commit suicide b/c of me being like this. It got worse when my second child died at 9 days old. I need to know if I can be normal or ever really care about anyone.

Customer:

i get a little excited from lieing sometimes

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

A lot of times this starts at very early age. Still, I have never had anyone not want to be "psychopath". I would think going to counselor or psychologist would be good idea. Would not go to psychiatrist. They do medication, which you don't need, and are not typically good therapists.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Does sound like Amber gets bored!

Customer:

I also get sexually excited at odd things

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

example...

Customer:

violence.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

if I may ask, were you ever sexually abused?

Customer:

not that i know of

Customer:

but i have been sexually active from the age of 13

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Sounds like you do need a lot of stimulation to feel things, Kind of need thrill seeking. COunseling help before, or just lie your way thru it?

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Likely cause conflict just to feel something.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Any self harm?

Customer:

i went to a county coucelor when i was 16 and i lost my first child. because the court ordered me to

Customer:

she told me i had a borderline-personality disorder

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

I think counseling would be worth a try. Sounds like emotions may be distorted and repressed, but might be there....

Customer:

no self harm and i think suiside is for the week

Customer:

they do pain to escape their reality and avoid, but i like it for the pleasure

Customer:

OK thank you

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

good luck to you