Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

How do you help a women who has been sexually abused that wants

How do you help a women who has been sexually abused that wants to have a family and kids get over an issue of seeing or feeling a man naked. I know time and counseling but what can a boyfriend do to help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

A few things, mostly being patient, which you obviously are. You are doing the right things. Let her set the limits until she feels safe. You are kind to see her through this. Her behavior tells me her abuse was really BAD. I would expect it to take a year or two before you see significant progress. I can tell you know this is not her fault. She is obviously trying. Be sensitive, but don't try to be her therapist. As you said, time and counseling, probably more than you may expect. Ask her what would help.