Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

I have been on 5 mg. of selegiline for a week after having

I have been on 5 mg. of selegiline for a week after having been on EMSAM patch for 6 months (it caused severe allergic skin reaction). I am thinking about returning to SSRI but would like to know how long I need to wait after getting off the selegiline before starting an SSRI.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Why are you on selegiline?

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

It takes 4 weeks to work and dose may need adjustment. Side effects also tend to decrease with time. You seem to have run through a good assortment of SSRIs, so I am curious why you want to change. It does interact with SSRIs, so need careful transition if you decide to do that. I just wouldn't give up on it yet.

Customer:

I was put on 5mg selegeline as a replacement for the 6mg EMSAM patch as I was told it is very similar, however, so far (one week) it has made me feel anxious and hyper at times as well as nauseated and headachy . If side effects lessen over time than perhaps I will continue on the selegeline.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

With the failure of SSRIs it is worth a try. 2-4 weeks is typical for response, side effects should get gradually better.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

EMSAM is selegiiline in a transdermal patch, so if don't feel better in a couple weeks, check with MD. The side effects now may be because dose was administered more slowly with patch. Did it help other than skin reaction?

Customer:

I did feel that it helped, except that the patch and the oral both cause insomnia.

Customer:

Thank you.