TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

What are the symptoms of hypersexuality I dont understand

What are the symptoms of hypersexuality? I don't understand the concept, the idea that I might be hypersexual came up. Can you tell me anything?

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Hypersexuality, which can also be called sexual addiction, is characterized by an obsessive need to engage in sexual activity beyond the norm. Symptoms include:

Obsession about sexual activity to the point of interfering with daily life

Engaging in sexual activates that are beyond what you would normally find morally acceptable

Lack of discrimination about whom you have sex with

Excessive masturbation

Hypersexuality can be associated with Bipolar disorder. When someone is in a manic phase, they may experience a marked increase in promiscuous sexual behavior that they would otherwise not engage in.

Hypersexuality can also be described by the terms compulsive sexual activity and sexual addiction.

Hypersexuality can be dangerous as it causes the person to go outside of what they feel is safe sexual behavior to engage in risky activities, putting their health and personal safety at risk.

If you feel that you have hypersexuality, talk to your doctor about a referral to a qualified counselor. Therapy can help you overcome your addiction and find better ways to cope. And if you feel you may have Bipolar disorder, be sure to see a mental health professional for an evaluation.

I hope this has helped you,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am Bipolar II, so I get hypomanic sometimes. Does hypomania (as well as mania) set it off?

Yes. Mania is what actually sets it off. You may be able to talk with your doctor about changing or increasing your medication to help you cope. Finding the right combination of medication and medication levels will help you keep hypersexuality under control.

Bipolar often runs in families and when it does, a parent or relative that had mania may have also suffered from hypersexuality. If so, the possibility of child abuse increases because of the lack of control over sexual morality. If that abused child develops Bipolar as an adult, it may increase the chance they will also develop hypersexuality.

Getting your feelings under control by working with your doctor and therapist is the best way to address hypersexuality.