Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

I believe my son stopped drinking 6 months ago, but he still

I believe my son stopped drinking 6 months ago, but he still has a hand tremor. Is this normal, or is he drinking again without my knowing it. Thanks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Either is possible. If he drank enough to cause permanent neurological damage, he could still have tremors. More likely he is still drinking, but that is just based on what is generally more likely.

Customer:

He is in the process of getting a divorce, and after months of working with a mediator, the only thing that he and his wife can agree upon is that I'm to observe him interacting with the children (ages 1 and 5) for a series of weekends. Child custody will depend on that, so it's a huge responsibility. I see no signs of drinking other than the tremors. I know he's on high doses of anti depressants. Other than ripping his house apart, is there any thing else I should look for?

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Medication could cause tremors also. You are in a horribly awkward situation and never should have been put in it. All you can do is report what you see in his interactions with the kids. Asking you to police his alcohol use just can't be done. I would look for angry mood swings, missing work or other appointments, inconsistent behavior, secrecy. If alcohol is concern, he should agree to blood tests, but I doubt that will happen. Be specific in your observations and don't let yourself get put into position of deciding if his behavior is appropriate. Just be descriptive. I would take notes after visit. (and ripping house apart would be bad sign.....)

Customer:

Thank you. I have written up the observations after my first visit...t