TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

My son has been depressed for years Dr. have just medicated

My son has been depressed for years Dr. have just medicated him He is now in San Antonio Tx. and is very depressed he has no insurance his father and I will help where can he go to get some real help. O
I am so afraid he is going to hurt himself. He his 28 years old
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

If you think that your son is going to hurt himself, you may want to have him go to the local ER and be evaluated to determine if he needs admitted to the hospital. Or if he is not willing to go and you or someone you know has heard him say he intends on hurting himself (or someone else), you can have him involuntarily committed to the hospital on a 302. That way, he at least can have his medications looked at, receive therapy and be kept safe.

If your son has no insurance, he can go to the local community mental health center for treatment. They will see him based on a sliding fee scale. They offer many services including evaluation, individual and group therapy and psychiatric services. They will also help him find health or financial assistance if he qualifies.

He can find information about what is available at low cost in his area by contacting the local city government social services or his local United Way.

If you are able to help him pay for services, he can look for a therapist in his area by searching on line at They offer an extensive list of therapists and organizations that can help and include information about what each therapist specializes in.

I hope this has been helpful. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.