Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Experience:  Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults

my son is 1 year and nearly 8 months old. he is a lovable child

my son is 1 year and nearly 8 months old. he is a lovable child but does interact with children. he does not speak at all. when i say he does not speak i mean he doesnt even make any sounds. i could et through a whole day without hearing his voice. he is very atached to me and does not like going to anyone else. he is also very lazy, he lies around most of the day and even when he plays he does it while sitting or lying down. i understand children his age aarnt expected to speak or say to many words so this isnt my main concern. i feel that he was more aware of things when he was younger and the older he gets the less i feel he understands. i try to make him say things or even just make sounds but he never cooperates no matter how fun i try to make it. i just want to no if i am overreating or if i am justified with my concerns. plz help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mina replied 5 years ago.

form your description If I am not mistaken I understand that your son of 1yr 8 months is not verbal at all. In that case, this can be alarming as if he is not verbal (not talking) that could be a sign of autism and this would need urgent testing and evaluation by a child psychologist/psychiatrist. According to research children can start using sounds from as young as a few months old and thy would be expected to use small words from the age of 10-12 months old. At the age of 18-24 months they would usually be able to form a 2-3 word sentence. So according to this and if I have understood correctly, your son may have a certain speech delay that needs to be urgently assessed. You also mentioned that he does not socialise with other children and is very clingy. That could be also another indication of autism as autistic children have impairments in their social functioning.

I would not want to alarm you unnecessary but I would strongly advise you to take your child to a specialist for assessment. I am shocked by the response you got from your GP as these delays need to be assessed and addressed as soon as indicated. If you feel that the doctors are not supporting you, I would encourage you to file a complaint and at the same time have your child tested privately by a psychologist specialised in autism.

I hope that helps

All the best in your efforts