TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

HI. My psychiatrist originally diagnosed me with Major Depressive

HI. My psychiatrist originally diagnosed me with Major Depressive disorder and anxiety. Currently I'm on Lexapro (20 mg 1X), Wellbutrin (200mg 1X), Resperidone (.25 AM) and Resperidone (.5mg PM) I'm still having anxiety. What should I tell my md?

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is very common for people to try many different medications before they find one that works for their symptoms. Not all medications work for everyone. Some people find they do nothing at all, others have strong reactions with many symptoms, and still others find the medication works well for them. In your case, your medication may not be working as it should.

There are numerous anxiety medications available that you could try. Here is a list of some anxiety medications:

Xanax- is very addicting. You may want to consider this as a last resort.

Ativan- an easy to take drug most people react well to.

Effexor- there is a long acting Effexor as well

Let your doctor know that you need to try another medication. This is very common and it is likely your doctor deals with it all the time.

Along with medication, are you in any type of treatment? Therapy and self help are more effective in helping you with anxiety and sometimes depression than medication might be. Medication is necessary if you are having a hard time functioning at your normal level. Therapy and self help can help you resolve your symptoms and wean off the medication.

To find a therapist, ask your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at

Self help is also very effective. Relaxation techniques, educating yourself, and eating a healthy diet all contribute to helping you feel better. Also, consider self help groups on line or in person. Having support goes a long way in helping you feel less alone. Here are some other resources to help:

Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression, 2nd Edition, Completely Revised and Updated by Joseph J. Luciani

Healing Anxiety and Depression by Daniel G. Amen and Lisa C. Routh

Overcoming Anxiety, Panic, and Depression: New Ways to Regain your Confidence by Arthur H. XXXXX, XXXXX Gardner

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. I always they will think I don't know what I'm talking about. Or that I'm questioning their expertise. Am i the only one that feels this way?

No, you are not alone. Many people feel the way you describe. People feel intimidated by doctors because they feel they are so much smarter than they are. But your doctor is there to help you and you are paying them to do so. So your doctor should work with you, not dictate to you. If your doctor does not work with you, then you may need to change doctors until you find one that does.

Your best option is to be prepared before you see your doctor so you know your options and already know what you want. That way, when you talk to your doctor about options you already have some background information to help you know what to say. It also helps to write things down so you do not forget.