Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

Is a man with Aspergers unable to admit to loving someone

Is a man with Aspergers unable to admit to 'loving' someone? He calls me his playmate. He says that is because he enjoys doing things together with me. He is reluctant to say he loves me and says I do not initiate the 'wow' factor in him that he gets from seeing some attractive woman in the street. He says that is not his gift to give though he wishes he could as he feels he should value me more. Should I leave?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.
A defining characteristic of Aspergers is the inability to have and make emotional connections with other people. They also lack empathy for emotions of others and have a hard time reading others emotions. The "wow" factor is likely excitement which is totally different than love. He is likely giving you all he can and will be able to and is being honest about it.