Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

I recently had a psychiatrist add 10 mg of tofranil to my current

I recently had a psychiatrist add 10 mg of tofranil to my current medication prozac 40 mg. This psychiatrist was new to me and very elderly. Is this a safe combination?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

This is safe. I am not sure of rationale. 10mg. is very low dose (150mg is typical therapeeutic dosage, but that amount would be unsafe). Usually when I see this low dose added, it is for sleep or to see if it can provide addition medication benefit. If you are on the Prozac now (I see Celexa also) it was likely added to help counter the sometimes over stimulating effect of Prozac. In any event, can't hurt ay such a low dose and might help a bit.