Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Dont know what to do anymore my daughter has been treated

Don't know what to do anymore my daughter has been treated for general anxiety disorder for the last 15years but it has never been controlled. She has been on numerous medications which help for only brief periods and she seems to get all the side effects from nausea inability to sleep. night eating in her sleep, has gained 60 lbs and increasing, now she has difficulty swallowing and in turn begins to panic even more. The wait times to have someone help her is > 2-3 years . In the past she has seen mds but after they prescribe a medication and it does not work they basically wash their hands of helping her and state that they have never heard of the side effects that she experiences. I guess this is my cry for help for her for it is truly hurting everyone in the family. Please help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like your daughter has been through a lot. The side effects she describes can be from the medication and they can be from her panic and anxiety as well.

Difficulty swallowing can be a symptom of panic. It is a common symptom for anxiety sufferers. Because of the numerous physical symptoms that anxiety suffers deal with, they often make the mistake that there is something physically wrong with them when in fact it is the anxiety.

Anxiety is caused when a person has thoughts about being in danger. It can be from a simple situation such as being outside, or a specific fear such as snakes. When the person is confronted with the feared object or situation, they experience frightening bodily sensations and they feel they are in danger. Their thoughts release adrenaline into their body. The adrenaline creates the flight or fight feeling. This causes the person to sweat, breath shallow, feel a need to get out, and many other physical symptoms. Once this occurs, the person becomes fearful of the feeling rather than the actual object or situation itself.

Medication can help. But as your daughter has experienced, medication has many side effects, sometimes worse than the anxiety. Finding the right medication is a matter of trying several until you can find the one that works best with your body chemistry. It is very common for people to try several so she is not alone. If she can, she needs to see a doctor who can assess her situation and determine why she is having so many side effects. Also, she needs to see what side effects are the medication and which are the anxiety so the right medication can be prescribed.

Although medication can help with initial symptoms, the best treatment for anxiety is therapy. It has been proven that therapy such as Cognative Behavioral therapy or Integrated therapy are the best treatment options for anxiety. But any therapy can help. Medication can make it easier to cope, but it does not cure anxiety. It only covers up the symptoms. Therapy can help reduce or eliminate the anxiety.

Self help is also a good option in helping your daughter. It is effective and goes a long way in helping someone with anxiety feel better. Also, you can help your daughter by reassuring her that she will be ok. Anxiety makes a person fearful of losing control so hearing that she is fine is reassuring. Help her by finding her resources and going over them with her. The more support you can offer, the more she will feel calmer.

Here are some resources to help you get started:

http://helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook (Anxiety & Phobia Workbook) by Edmund J. Bourne

When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life by David D. Burns

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by Bill Knaus Ed.D. and Jon Carlson Psy.D. Ed.D.

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

Your daughter may also be able to get the support she needs on line through support groups. Here is a link to help:

http://psychcentral.com/resources/Anxiety_and_Panic/Support_Groups/

She can also work with any Expert here on Just Answer. Experts can offer support and insight as well as a place to turn to if she is feeling anxious and cannot see a therapist or doctor right away.

Anxiety is highly curable with treatment and support. With some of these resources and the right medication, she should be feeling better soon.

I hope this has helped,
Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.