Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

I have a 15 year old nephew who has ADHD and anger management

I have a 15 year old nephew who has ADHD and anger management issues. A physician is recommending Adderall for him. Can you tell me more about his drug? And, is this an appropriate medication for him to take?

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Adderal is basically a type of stimulant drug, an amphetamine. It is one of the best treatments for ADHD. As unintuitive as it may seem, ADHD seem to be more underactivity in the brain the overactivity. Behavioral problems are seen as the result of frustration and self stimulation. Adderal increase the chemicals necessary for normal activity in certain parts of the brain so both the neurological issues (inattention) and behavioral (self stimulation via hyperactivity/anger/etc) can be addressed. If diagnosis is correct, it is a good treatment attempt. There are several other options, but one is not better than other. It just depends on how individual responds.