TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Hi; I have a question regarding my place and purpose in life.

Hi;
I have a question regarding my place and purpose in life. I am married and a housewife. I just basically sit home all day by myself, have no real friends and cannot seem to find a job outside of the home. I have done Interior design for the past ten years or so but with the economy as it is this put a damper on my career. I have no motivation to do anything and feel depressed most of the time. I feel like at the age of 60 my life is pretty much over. Where do I go from here I don't know. I don't have any children so that bothers me.

Hi, I would like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you are depressed. When you feel you have no goal in life and don't have any motivation to deal with how you feel, that usually indicates depression. Depending on if you have any other symptoms, you could have a mild depression or another type of depression.

The first step is to get an evaluation. You can find a low cost/no cost evaluation at your local community mental health center. You can either find them on line, or contact your local United Way for information. They have a referral source that can help you.

An evaluation can help you find out what you are coping with and how to treat it. Some depressions just require short term therapy. Other depressions may need short term medication and therapy. There are also many treatment options. Individual therapy, group therapy and other supports can help you feel better and improve your outlook.

You may also want to consider helping yourself at home. You can join a support group either on line or in person. And there are other resources to help you. Here is are some to get you started:

http://helpguide.org/mental/depression_signs_types_diagnosis_treatment.htm

http://psychcentral.com/resources/Depression/Support_Groups/

The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness by XXXXX XXXXX, XXXXX Teasdale, Zindel Segal and Jon Kabat-Zinn

Undoing Depression: What Therapy Doesn't Teach You and Medication Can't Give You by Richard O'Connor

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression: A Step-by-step Program (Workbook) by William J. Knaus and Albert Ellis

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped,

Kate