Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

I had to stop a daily dose of 375 mg of Effexor in March as

I had to stop a daily dose of 375 mg of Effexor in March as it was raising my blood pressure. I also have Fibromyalgia and had tried Cymbalta (made me angry) and Lyrica which made my face swell. The pain in my legs was horrible, so Pain Mgmt started me on Savella. It has raised my pulse rate to a high of 99 which I was told by the ER md that it is within normal ranges. Yesterday I lost it with my disabled husband. The anger and severe irritability was the same as what I experienced with Cymbalta. I had been on Savella for 1 week at 50 mg. I also have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and some depression. My question is whether to stop the Savella due to the anger and out of control feelings I had yesterday. I had to stop the cymbalta for the same reason. I am the sole caregiver for my Psychiatrically disabled husband who is a veteran. He does not need me yelling at him either. Thank you very much for your help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Savella is only for the fibromyalgia. You may want to stop it but your anxiety and depression being uncontrolled may be more the cause of the problems. Savella cannot be quit cold turkey without adverse effects. If you want to quit, you need to talk to MD. You may also want to try a less stimulating antidepressant for depression and anxiety (maybe lexapro, celexa). All of them may temporarily cause increase anxiety/depression (for a couple weeks). Savella can also exacerbate depression. ER is correct about heart rate, even though it may feel uncomfortable. Given the complexity of this sensitivity to medications, I am reluctant to advise anything specific other than to note your treatment does seem ineffective. I would see a psychiatrist to deal with the complete picture.

Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience: Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.