Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

I always have to wait up to half an hour, because my doctor

I always have to wait up to half an hour, because my doctor is never ready for our appointment on time. So we have an hour together, but I have to spend an extra half hour of my precious (and expensive) time. My time should be just as valuable as hers. I feel like this is part of the culture of being a doctor, as opposed to a lawyer, for example. What do you think?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

I think you should talk to her about this issue. I also agree about it being part of the culture, but that does not make it OK. If it consistent, you should bring it up. I am not sure of the response you will get, but it does affect your feeling of being respected by the doctor which is not a good thing to have in treatment. Mental health people track time differently than attorneys and sometime just need to be reminded of that.

I don't think she will change her timing. I've been with her for four years. I do though feel humiliated when she arrives 20 minutes late or is in her office and not even with another patient.