Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

Another question I could ask; In your experience, for OCD,

Another question I could ask; In your experience, for OCD, is the doctor usually able to find a combination of meds that work for the patient? Like, if one doesn’t work, then another usually will? I suppose I ask this for reassurance. I have more of the “pure O” type of OCD. The Abilify with the 80 mg Prozac started working in 3 days. I’ve been on the Prozac for 15 years, but added the Abilify a week ago, and still is working well. Also, would you recommend CBT therapy to go with the meds for that type of OCD? Does CBT work to treat OCD without meds?
Thanks again, for your time. I’m actually going to be a therapist myself, so my goal is to be well, so that I can help my future clients well. I’m about 1 year away from licensure.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

CBT is very helpful but we are finding more and more of a biological basis for OCD. CBT is a good complement and does help, but not as much as when combined with medication. It can help modify the thought patterns of obcessional thinking. There a a number of medications that are helpful with OCD and if one doesn't work, others very well may help. Since your history is having a good response to medication, I would expect you to continue to be a good responder (and also that would support the more biological nature of your OCD. It typically does very little for some OCDs that seem more learned that biological). The Abilify is specifically for the "O" part of OCD. It tends to help with thinking , not so much with behavior. I think you can expect symptoms to be well controlled, if not fully.

Customer:

What about if I go out with friends on the weekend and they have alchohol? Is that a "no no" with these meds? I don't want to have a few beers and have it make the meds not work as well. Is that what can happen when you drink alcohol, or is it safe? If it is safe, how much can I have say/week?

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

I would be very careful. A few drinks a week is unlikely to hurt. A more continual use does interfere with effectiveness of medication. My main concern is Abilify and alcohol may interact and the alcohol will be more intensely than you would expect. I can't give a precise amount per week, just be careful and make sure are not driving until you know for sure how you react.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Here is "official" warning.

1. Abilify <-> ethyl alcohol

caution advised: combo may incr. risk of CNS depression, psychomotor impairment (additive effects)

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX were very helpful!