Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

Ive been on Prozac for OCD for 15 years. When I started it,

I've been on Prozac for OCD for 15 years. When I started it, it worked really well, and most or all of my symptoms disappeared. Over the years, I noticed it seemed to slowly not be working as well because my symptoms started to kind of come back. This year, it got pretty bad, and my doctor added 10 mg of Abilify. In 3 days, I was feeling better, and over the next few days (a week now) I feel about 90-100% of my symptoms (obsessions/anxiety) are gone. Now I wonder if this combination can "poop out" like the Prozac alone seemed to? Or is this a pretty stable combination for the long run? It works so well now!

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Abilify has been on the market to short of time to really know for sure. IT took many years to see "poop out" in SSRI's. For certain types of OCD, I have seen similar drugs used with success to control the intrusive thought associated with OCD. It is not a type of drug that one would expect to "poop out". Dose may require adjustment and Abilify has less side effects than older medications used for same purpose. Enjoy the relief and expect continued success.