Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

My wife is addicted to Tramadol, taking antwhere from 12 to

My wife is addicted to Tramadol, taking antwhere from 12 to 20 per day. She buys them off of the Internet (aprox 360 a month) and has two legit Dr's writing 90 per month. Each Dr is anaware of the other. She takes it for the buzz, and to keep from having DTs. My daughter has been diagnosed with ADD, and was prescribed Focalin, 30 ct, 1 per day. The first weekend we had the Focalin my wife took 16 Focalin, again for the buzz, before I caught it. Our marriage is spinning out of control. In Texas, parental rights almost always go to the mother. I am scared to death my daughter is going to be impacted by my wife's selfish behavior. My daughter has had such a hard time with the ADD, and associated depression symptoms. It is taking it's toll on me. I am staying around to protect my daughter, but I am becoming more and more depressed as well. I don't want to take an SRI just because my wife is a threat to my daughter and myself. I am no boyscout. I am not perfect. I have done things in our relationship that I regret, and can't believe possible. Can you provide any advice. I am so sad every day.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 5 years ago.

Ralph LMHC :

I would suggest that this has become a legal matter for the safety of the child. See a lawyer. and bring copies of the both the the doctor's prescriptions and the internet purchases.. I am sorry to say that your wife is addicted and a danger to your daughter. If you do not take action you will be a party to endangering a minor. I can sense that you are well motivated, Your daughter desparately needs protection. If you cannot afford a lawyer to go to. Go to family court. Or you may be forced to go to the police. Inform your wife she must go for detox and rehab or you will be forced to go to the authorities. I feel for your situation, but your highest obligation is to your daughter. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask, If thsi answer has been helpful, please press the accept so that I can be compensated. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

Thanks. It will be the toughest thing I've ever had to do, but you are right. My daughter comes first.