How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5804
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is suffering from a sever anxiety, a small indecent

This answer was rated:

My wife is suffering from a sever anxiety, a small indecent would collapse her world and screw up everything in her view. That is affecting everything in our lives ... our relationship, kids, everything.

I know she has to go to the doctor .. but I need to know how should I deal with her to help, and what are the treatment options for this case.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.


Anxiety is very easy to treat. Your wife only has to want treatment and she can reduce or eliminate her anxiety. She can do this through both therapy and self help.


Most anxiety is easily treated through once a week outpatient therapy. The best therapy for anxiety right now is Cognative Behavioral Therapy (CBT). There is also a newer therapy called Integrated therapy that helps as well. But even if she cannot find a therapist who does these therapies, any therapist with a Master's Degree or Ph.D can help. If she chooses to see a Master's level therapist, she can see anyone with a M.Ed, M.A., MSW or LSW after their name. For a PhD, that is a therapist who earned a doctorate in the field of psychology. Neither a Master's or PhD level therapist can prescribe medications. A Psychiatrist, which is a medical doctor who specialized in psychiatry, can prescribe. They also can see patients as well but for the most part, they see patients for medications.


To find a therapist, your wife can ask her doctor for a referral. Or she can search on line at


There are also numerous resources on line and through books. Anxiety is very common, so the variety of resources available is widespread. Here are some resources to help her get started:


The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook (Anxiety & Phobia Workbook) by Edmund J. Bourne


When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life by David D. Burns


The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by Bill Knaus Ed.D. and Jon Carlson Psy.D. Ed.D.


You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.


Your wife could also work with someone here on Just Answer. Experts sometimes work with someone to help them through a tough time. She can either request an expert or she can work with whoever answers her question. This helps because most experts can be more available than a conventional therapist can be to offer her reassurance, so when she cannot see her therapist, she can talk to the expert she is working with.


You can help her by reassuring her that she will be ok. Anxiety makes a person fearful of losing control so hearing that she is fine is reassuring. Also, help her by finding her resources and going over them with her or linking her to them, such as her doctor and therapist. The more support you can offer, the more she will feel calmer. Also, talk to her about taking medications initially. Because she feels her anxiety is severe, she may need a mild medication to help her cope. But the medication should only be temporary. Anxiety cannot be cured by medication. Only therapy and self help can do that.


Also, do not forget to care for yourself. You are going to be taking care of your wife for a bit and it is easy to get burned out. Take breaks and get out for a while if you need to. And if you feel too overwhelmed, talk to a therapist yourself.


I hope this has helped,


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

I haven't heard from you. Did you have more questions or want clarification?



If you are happy with your answers, please click accept. I do not get reimbursed for my work unless you accept. If you have more questions, I would be happy to help.