Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.
32195369

I do think if I felt better about myself, I probably wouldnt

I do think if I felt better about myself, I probably wouldn't spend so much and if my self-esteem was higher, maybe other areas of my life would be better as well. I do have a therapist i work with. I use to not go that often. I decided to go twice a month to commit to seeing him to get the help I need. I just feel "needy" and I have "nervous energy." This weekend, I am going down the shore for a 3 day weekend. I need help just feeling whole. Any help you can recommend on how I can get past the weekend ok?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Suzanne replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for bringing your question to JustAnswer.

To get through the weekend, rather than focus on your feelings, put your energy into planning activities that will add some fun and relaxation to your life. Sometimes, you have to "fake it till you make it." Act as if things are fine and you are feeling good about yourself. Put a smile on your face even if you don't actually feel happy. There is research that shows that just changing your facial expression can in turn change your emotions.

If you focus just on how you are feeling inside, you will miss this great opportunity to relax and enjoy each other's company. Save the worry and trying to figure things out for another time--preferably in therapy. Cut yourself some slack--you deserve to have some fun!

Try this:

Make a list of 5 things you are grateful for each and every morning. You will be amazed at how that can help give you an appreciation for what is good in your life. Do this especially while you are away for the weekend. It will keep you focused on the positive rather than the negative.

Have a great time!

Suzanne