Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

I NEED TO FIND HELP (INPATIENT) FOR MY SON WHO IS 43 YEARS

I NEED TO FIND HELP (INPATIENT) FOR MY SON WHO IS 43 YEARS OLD WHO SUFFERING FROM A SERIOUS CASE ANTISOCIAL PERSONALITY WITH SPIKES IN BEING NARCASISTIC. I HAVE TO FIND SOMELACE, PREFERALE IN CALIFORNIA OR EVEN OUT OF STATE, IF NECESSARY AS SOMEHING SERIOUS IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO HIM.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

If his diagnosis is Personality Disorder, typically he would not be hospitalized as they would not expect improvement. Usually they will only be hospitalized long enough to remove them and others from immediate danger. The psychologists that think or agree he needs hospitalization should help. Southern CA and Utah seem to have private hospitals that will admit anyone if you can afford to pay cash - unlikely insurance would pay for anything more than crisis care.

Customer:

If addictions to just about everyone constitutes a Personality Disorder, then that is where he belongs in a place that specializes in them.

Customer:

I am far from a wealthy individual but have equity in my home that I can get. I just need to know where would be the best place to have him sent. He has been clean and sober for over 12 years but since then reverted to other additions and right now or for the pst 3 or so years has be gambling. He has recently and finally admitted that he can not go on any longer. "I need to learn how to relive my life or die."

Customer:

I have been on line trying to find some places that would qualify for his condition but can not seem to find any. If I could at least get some names of some hospitals or some rehab places it would be a start for me. I am working 16 - 18 hours a day so my time to just contact a bunch of them is almost impossible for me at this time. I work in argriculture and this is my most busiest time of the year. If you have some names of places I could call I would appreciate it. Or, if you have some other suggestions on what other plan of action would be to his benefit I would be very greatful to be able to discuss them with you. I might mentioned that he has seen 3 different psychologists and they have more or less given up on him as he has not been honest with them and has "con" them too and when they find this out, theywash their hands of him. I am so desperate I do not know where to turn. I will have to get to work now bu

Customer:

(I am sorry but I keep pushing the "reply" before I am done with my response) My last response was to end with I have to go to work now but have access to a computer when I am on break. I see you are "typing" so I wll wait for your response before I leave for work. Thank You for your time

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

I will opt out of this if you want and let someone else respond as I am unaware of any facilities that would specialize in this, much for same reasons his previous psychologists have given up on him. Personality Disorders are technically diagnosed NOT as mental disorders but other conditions that often come to the attention of mental health professionals. They are considered ingrained patterns of behavior that are maladaptive in functioning in society. They are not considered to be ameanable to treatment. If this is an addiction disorder, an addiction facility may be option. I hate giving such pessimistic answers, but I also won't lie to clients. The liklihood of him getting better, from what you told me is low, very low. I have no idea of an appropriate facility. Like I said, I would be glad to opt out and you need not feel obligated to pay (I have no control over reminders sent).

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

I also question why he is not the one looking for appropriate treatment. Most professionals will not take his seeking treatment seriously if he is not looking for himself.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Sadly, you seem more desperate for treatment than he does.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

"for HIS treatment" --- sorry for typo

Customer:

Thank you for your opinion and appreciate your honesty. He actually is and has given me a ton of possible places to call but as you are probably very well aware his words have been come very meaningless to me at this point and I am never sure what I can or should believe so I gues I was looking for a "way out " for myself because of my limited time and what I feel the urgencyof this problem is. Again thank you for your time and I will accept your answer so you can be paid (I am on a monthly plan) but would appreciate if you could opt out and refer this to another Doctor. Please advise thank you.

Customer:

You are probablle right that I do need treatmet and belive it or not I am a member of alanon and I try to take one day at at a time.

Customer:

I will await your finaly reply and have to pick it up later as I am really late for work. Again, thank you so much!

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

If I opt out, other people are less likely to answer the question. I would advise you to repost the question as new so someone will be more likely to answer. My advice is I would not do any research for him. If he doesn't find a place and arrange for his own admission, you will be wasting your money and emotional resources. Let me know if you want me to opt out or you want to repost.

Customer:

I will repost, thank you