Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

My husband of 8 years and I have been having relationship issues for most of our time toge

Customer Question

My husband of 8 years and I have been having relationship issues for most of our time together. We have separated and then moved back together. But as it always does, things were good for a month and then it was right back to the way it was - a lot of verbal abuse. We actually did marriage counceling at one point a few years back and I was instructed to not feel guilty about leaving him any longer. We needed to be apart. Now again, in a last ditch effort, he has decided to go to a phychitrist to get some help, either by meds or just by talking to someone about the issues he has with me. He has been a few times, I asked him once how it went last week and his reply was very short and curt. I wonder if I should ask him again, or just assume that he is getting the help that he needs?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 5 years ago.
Ask, but don't pressurise!. He may be needing time to make the adjustments that are required. The way to judge his progress is by his actions rather than by his words. If things are imptoving, it will become quite clear to you as time goes on.