Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families

Our daughter is ADD and manic depressive. She seems to be

Our daughter is ADD and manic depressive. She seems to be ranting over the phone so much. We are totally supporting her monetarily as she has difficulty keeping a job. Any suggestions? She is 35 hrs old. She is taking adderol and who knows what else! As her mother I am getting very tired of hearing all the excuses. It is not possible to make sense with her as she always has excuses.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

If your daughter is unable to keep a job because of poor interpersonal relationships skills, she may be eligible for social security disability benefits. You can start the application for her at

Many individuals with Manic Depressive Disorder are found eligible for these benefits because of their inconsistent rageful episodes. ADD is also considered a disability when it comes to working.

Along with this, she should apply for Division or Vocational Rehabilitation services. They would help her find a job that would suit her personality. The Voc Rehab agency is a State look under state government to find it....or let me know your State and I will find it for you.

These steps will help her become less dependent on you financially.

Hope this helps....good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She does have a desire to work and wants to be a productive person. I know she wants to care for herself but handling money is not easy for her. She has a hard time controlling herself. She loves to write and tell things from her point of view. Any other ideas?
It is great that she is motivated.....If she would tell DVR all of these things, they will help her to find a situation that works for her. They might even help with some classes if she would like to advance her skills. Hopefully she will not have any excuses about accepting the help that is available to her.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She attended a NAMI meeting at my encouragement Tues PM. I am not sure if she liked it or not. Should I encourage her to continue going? We will attend NAMI meetings starting in Feb. for relatives. My guess is that she feels going to these meetings is below her as she is OK as it is always other people's problem.. She just started reading I 'm OK You're OK on her own.
The NAMI meetings will help you to understand and cope with her ups and downs. It would be nice if she will continue but it sounds like she may not. You can encourage her to continue with her medication (because stopping treatment would be a big problem). It is about "picking your battles" so that you do not overwhelm her.