psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
52358615

I believe one of my daughters is Histrionic or Narcissistic

I believe one of my daughters is "Histrionic or Narcissistic" or some of each. She has cut me out of her life---for no reason that I can rationally explain. She is 24, I am 56 (mom). I am feeling like any interaction with her is "gaslighting" at best, XXXXX XXXXX worst. Help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.

If your daughter has either one of these personality disorders than there will definitely be drama and unstable relationships. This is the major symptoms of these disorders. They often either cause unstable relationships or are convinced that there are unstable relationships. Asking for forgiveness just reinforces their behavior. You can't change her behavior you can only decide if you choose to tolerate it. You can put strong boundaries in place to minimize her impact on your life. You have to a certain extent be subject to her limitations in your relationship if you don't want to support her erratic demands. You can't wish for a better relationship. You can only go for family counseling or accept her with your own boundaries. Don't feel compelled to accept her with her demands up front. If you want all these holidays it may cost you but you have nothing to lose by making rules for your relationship

If this has been helpful press accept