Kerry RN
Kerry RN, Nurse
Experience:  several years in nursing field including psych, and behavior management
169559

I was taking 3mgms Lorazepam for 4 months to sleep.My sleep

Customer Question

I was taking 3mgms Lorazepam for 4 months to sleep.My sleep specialist first prescibed 1mgm Klonopin for 2 weeks which almost made me bed-bound, he has now given me 10mgs Valium nocte. According to all research that I have done this is too fast a reduction, as he is the third psychiatrist that I have seen I am reluctant to question his judgement, do you have any advice as to where I can go. My original & only problem was chronic insomnia.How long is the waiting time?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Camille RN replied 3 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am happy to help you today. Valium is a Benzodiazapine as is Lorazapam... and the dosages are not too far off when compared. I do not think that going from 3 mg of Ativan to 10 mg of Valium will be deterimental to you at all.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I also am a registered nurse & the difference in dosage is 20mgm, as lorazepam 1 mgm is equivalent to 10mgms diazepam.Having extensively researched, I found that the Ashton method recomends small reductions,as fast reduction leads to protracted withdrawal symptoms.Hence my original concern.I would be most grateful if you know of an addiction therapy psychiatrist, as I have little faith from my experience so far.
Expert:  Kerry RN replied 3 years ago.
You are right klonipin should be tapered slowly and not cold turkey'd. If you have any of that left I would taper the dose slowly before starting the valium. You don't mention where you are located. Look up in the white pages for addiction specialists. There are also docs called neuropsychiatrists. They should be able to help you get this regulated.
Kerry
Kerry RN, Nurse
Experience: several years in nursing field including psych, and behavior management
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you tell me where & what are the white pages?I am based in London.