Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy

How do I convince my adult daughter to get professional help.

How do I convince my adult daughter to get professional help. I am concerned she is becoming a hoarder. She lives in my home and it has become overun with incredible mess everywhere. I really believe after fighting this for many years that she is incapable of dealing with it or living any other way. I don't want to put her out on the street but I can't continue this fight any longer. I'd appreciate any advice you could offer.
Thank you
Gail Johnson
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about this. Hoarding isn't merely someone who is messy. It is an obsessive compulsive disorder that needs help. You may want to go to this link and read what it says about hoarding. Also, there, you will be able to search for a company that helps people clean up their clutter.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Take a look also about what is said about hoarding being a psychiatric condition. Reading these links may put you in a better position in trying to offer your daughter help. If you understand it better, you can be in a position to help her understand better. Perhaps you can read the information I am sending first and then see if you can go over it with her.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I see that you are offline. I'll pause here and await your response so that we may continue with our chat.