psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
52358615

Emotionally and mentally unstable. Suppressed anger issues.

I've been dealing with some anger issues lately and I am not sure how to manage it properly. The biggest thing is that the recent anger is that of a combination of old suppressed anger and new anger. I had an outburst against a close friend recently too because of it. I have issues with dealing with anger and I know that just suppressing it isn't the right way to deal with it. How should I deal with this properly? I just feel mentally and emotionally unstable right now. Please help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.

Anger can be a problem in and of itself. There is a diagnosis for inappropriate levels of anger and outbursts that are excessive when compared with other people. You should not be having outbursts against other people. When you suppress anger it can harbor under the surface and lead to a list of problems like losing your job or losing your friends. Burying it only intensifies the anger and comes out at other times. Instead you should seek out immediate attention with a therapist who can help you understand why you get angry and what to do when you are angry. This will help you in the areas of your life where you are experiencing such anger. You have to learn to deal with this effectively.

The other possibility is that this anger is a result of some underlying mental health issue such as a mood disorder. It is imperative in this case to see a therapist because the problem may be something bigger than anger. Often a mood disorder is experienced as anger but is really for instance depression. In this case you must understand the mood disorder to understand the anger. Both have to be addressed in therapy.

If you choose to take anger management classes then these are offered in any state by looking online. These are not therapy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thing is, I'm usually a very calm person and usually have no problem controlling my anger but it just got to be to much recently and any anger that has been suppressed over the years wound up coming out because of the added recent anger. I know the reason for why it happened now, but what I would like to know is what the best way to manage it is, instead just suppressing it all again
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.
You need to have a therapist interact with you and your particular anger. How it comes to the surface and why. There is a ton of literature for anger management techniques online