Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.
Experience:  25 years in private practice
16903060

i was with a woman for three years of which she was with another

Customer Question

i was with a woman for three years of which she was with another man for two of them, i think she is a sociopath?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Kevin replied 5 years ago.

Dr.Kappler :

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer! I can help you with your question of if your girlfriend is a scoiopath.

Dr.Kappler :

I see you are off line so I will describe what I know from working with the criminally insane and mentally ill inmates at a state hospital and prison for the last 25 years.

Sociopaths are people with no self-conscience. Sociopath characteristics go unnoticed for a long time, until a drastic episode. Here are a few sociopath characteristics for your help.

A sociopath is defined as a person with, "pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others that begins in childhood or early adolescence and continues into adulthood". Sociopath characteristics begin at an early age. However, they go unnoticed for a long time, under the assumption that the child will grow up and learn a lesson. Sometimes sociopaths are also referred as psychopaths. The terms used to describe are not synonymous, but the behavior projected in both cases is more or less the same. Here is a list of sociopaths characteristics. A sociopath has a brain. Sadly, a sociopath never uses the brain for his/her use. They believe that much can be achieved by conning and manipulating others. Hence, with a thought like that, sociopath wastes time in convincing others about heir malicious ideas. They do so by putting on their charm. A sociopath victimizes the other person as an object to be used for implementing cruel intentions.
A lack of feelings is the main, yet hidden sociopath characteristics. A sociopath has no scope for emotions or feelings. They only make a superficial exhibition of their emotions. They do laugh, cry, get angry and depressed momentarily. The underlying reason for this superficiality is, they live in their own world and have their own set of morals. They are often ruled by a belief that their actions bear no consequence whatsoever, and they are not accountable to anyone. Incapacity for feelings and emotions allow a sociopath to elude responsibility for actions by placing the blame on others. Sociopaths have a boundless capacity to lie. It all begins when they lie once to hide a mistake and then continue lying to cover the earlier lies. As mentioned earlier, they are incapacitated to feelings, they do not understand the impact of compulsively lying. If they are caught lying, sociopaths are clever at changing the subject by blaming someone else and crawling clean out of the mess. Often, sociopaths are so clever at lying, that they pass lie detector tests also. Which is why, they rarely end up in prisons. And who thought sociopaths were out of brains! A sociopath does not have emotions is true. But a sociopath has shallow emotions is equally true. Shallow emotions adheres to show of warmth, joy, appreciation and motivation towards others to satisfy the ulterior motives. These sociopath traits make them seem emotionally strong. They remain cold and do not show reactions to what may cause a normal person to react. They make promises to others to get their job done. However, they are fake, and so are their promises.
The logic of thinking twice before you do anything or say anything does not exist with a sociopath. They get so overwhelmed by a certain idea to which they react impulsively. These actions are always driven by a devious acumen, such as cheating, stealing and lying. The excitement of doing the act is so great, that they jump on the opportunity which leads them into shady acts. Amongst characteristics of a sociopath, their parasitic nature is very evident. They act like leeches that cling on to everybody. They do so to find an accomplice to their actions. To get their plans done, they get hold of people closest to them, so that they can conveniently slip out the act when desired and then place the blame on others. Sociopaths have a beautiful charm about themselves, which is good enough to cover up all their devilish acts. They are very amusing, carefree and lively. These are the traits that draws a person to them. They often win the admiration from others and can make the crowd gawk at them. Sociopaths indulge in bragging about themselves like there's no tomorrow. They firmly believe that what they are doing is absolutely right and there's no way they would do anything wrong. They are self-assured about themselves. This leads them to making highly preposterous and unrealistic plans about life, making money, marriage and living. Sociopaths fail to understand why others around them are so against them. Whether it's a murder, robbery, lie or any other criminal act for that matter, a sociopath feels no guilt whatsoever. They can never empathize with others and neither can they feel guilt for blaming others. They have an amoral world of their own. They lie to an extent where room for guilt gets occupied by self made reality. They often believe that the pain inflicted on the other person was deserved by them. Many criminal sociopath often are seen giving such explanations.

Dr.Kappler :

Please let me know what of these characteristics she may have had and we can talk about how to deal with your feelings of being taken advantage of and anger which usually happens when you have been involved with this type of person. I will be available all day tomorrow.

You have stepped out of the chat, but you can still work with me to get an answer to your question if you have more to talk about. Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from me. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to me, use the box below. If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are paid only for each accepted answer they provide.