Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice

I am studying to be an LCDC in College. I have a misdemeanor

I am studying to be an LCDC in College. I have a misdemeanor for a sex offense that happened over 10 years ago and I was not required to to register. Will this disqualify me?

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how worrisome this situation must be for you. I assume you are talking about Texas as LCDC is an acronym I know from that state and I don't know of others using it. Let me give you the link to the relevant statutes in the Texas state statutes:

You want to scroll down to Subchapter B: INELIGIBILITY FOR LICENSE

You'll see that their cut off is 5 years. For sexually violent crimes, that might not apply. However, that usually is referring to a felony conviction--see paragraph (b).

So, it's highly doubtful that your conviction was classified as a violent crime if it was classified as a misdemeanor. At which point you would be beyond the 5 year cutoff for having to list the conviction in your license application.

If you are still in doubt, though, here is the phone number for the Professional Licensing and Certification Unit in Austin:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Okay, I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button because: even though you have made a deposit, I do not get paid for my time unless you press ACCEPT. Feel free to continue the discussion as my goal is to get you the best answer possible. You can continue the discussion even after pressing ACCEPT. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX