Karyn Jones
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.

How long should a person grieve for a parent I feel all the

How long should a person grieve for a parent? I feel all the stages from anger to extreme depression and feel tired and fatiqued a lot. I know part of my fatique is due to my medical condition of Congenital Cardiomegaly DX. x 3-5 years.

I guess my question is really Will or is it possible to feel positive and alive again? Can you refer me to literature that addresses this?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for bringing your concerns/worries to Just great loss and please know that I am truly sorry to hear of your going through this, what is a very difficult and painful time for you, to say the very least...

Grieving such a dear and close loss has no real time frame for many people,...and many may move backward or forward through the early stages, skip some altogether or get 'stuck' in one stage and seem unable to move on...Feelings of anger and depression are all part of the natural healing process ..and for some actually accepting the loss of a loved one (and moving forwards ) is often the most difficult, because of the intensity of emotional loss/ and grief felt...If you feel 'stuck' in the early phases of anger and depression it may be a good idea to seek help via a bereavement therapist ..they are a wealth of support/care and could help you move through it a little easier, if need be..
With each day it becomes a little easier and as you work through the loss of your dear parent healing is taking place in a time that's right for you...for grief has no time frame... But, please know there is life and hope after grief and suffering such a loss as painful as it may be now.. It is important to 'feel' it, and to acknowledge the pain, while eventually realizing life can go on. When grief interferes with enjoyment of the here and now, and you find the conversation turns constantly to the loss of your beloved parent, it is essential for you to move on toward acceptance of your painful loss.
You may be asking but, when will I start to 'feel' again and stop feeling this way ?...and it may seem never-ending..if you do find this then please be kind and patient with yourself right now, this is very important to your overall healing at this time..
You will never forget the times you had with your loved one, as this is a time to remember and cherish those moments you had...special moments in your life that were most likely filled at different points with joyous times..Remember these as imprinted on your heart and in your memories..
This will be a great comfort to you...They will never be forgotten but rather you let yourself heal..

I have posted more information/help/support/ via health websites below for you to help you understand more of the phases ..please be encouraged ..
Please do take very good care of 'self' right now and try to surround yourself with uplifting, caring and supportive friend's..this will help you..
I hope that my response has been of help and further encouragement to you..if it has then please 'accept' as it also contributes much by way of helping to keep this very valuable service going for you and others alike in the future.
May God bless and keep you always in His peace...and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX any delay in my response...
Warmest thoughts
Karyn J (ProfClinicalDipCounBmin)