TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

This happened quite some time ago but it always bothered me. I

This happened quite some time ago but it always bothered me.
I had been out drinking with a bunch of friends and we decided to go home.
I remember having to pee so my friend who was driving pulled over and I went into some wooded area to urinate. I woke up the next morning in my own bed but noticed my under pants were not on the floor? Naturally, I wondered what happened to my underwear?
(I sleep in the nude so that is why I mention the underwear not being on the floor.)
I recall 2 very quick memories of the period between entering the woods and waking up the next morning. One was a memory of almost walking into a bush while I was in the woods and the 2nd was my friends calling my name as I was leaving the woods. It must have appeared to them that I was not walking in the direction of the car?
Anyway, is it possible I could have peed in my underwear while in the woods and then when I got home I took them off and left them in the basement where my mom does the laundry? I had always entered the house from the basement so I would pass the dirty clothes pile.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Blackouts can occur when someone drinks a large quantity of alcohol. It is also an indication of long term alcohol use.

What happens is the alcohol prevents the brain from retaining memory. Although these lapses in memory vary from person to person depending on how much alcohol is consumed, they can also vary in length of time and ability to recall what happened. So you can engage in a full game of pool, but not recall any of it, or you may recall just "snapshots" of the game.

Most likely what happened to you is what you guessed happened. You either were so uncoordinated from the alcohol use that you urinated on yourself by accident and took your underwear off and left it there, or you brought it home with you for your mother to wash. If you brought it with you, however, your friends might have recalled that detail (if they were not experiencing blackouts and were more sober) and have been able to tell you. Or you would have seen your underwear later once they were washed and knew you brought it home with you. If neither of those occurred, then most likely you disposed of your underwear somewhere, either in the woods or somewhere between the woods and home.

In any case, you most likely did what you thought was logical at the time and you just do not recall it.

I hope this helps,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I guess I always thought that since I was on my way home I would probably not take my underwear off and when I got home simply toss them in the laundry? That would make the most sense based on my personality. BotXXXXX XXXXXne is what you remember and what you don't remember during a blackout is not black and white. Do you agree?

Yes, I agree. The effect the alcohol has on you and your memory varies greatly depending on factors such as how much you drank, your physical size, etc. So having flashes of memory is possible if you drank just enough to affect your memory but not block it out entirely.