Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

Im on 40 mg. of prozac a day - have been for years - I notice

I'm on 40 mg. of prozac a day - have been for years - I notice I'm not handling stress very well at all and not wanting to socialize. Don't have a doctor other than a general practicioner. Would it be safe to increase my prozac from 40 to 60 miligrams? I've gained about 50 unwanted lbs. - this may be a factor.

Also, does anyone know if there are long term effects of taking prozac?

I really don't think I have a choice, but just wanted to know. Thank you for any help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

There are no long term adverse effects that are known, and prozac has been around since 80s. There is a phenomenon known as "poop out" which refers to medicines like Prozac working for may years the suddenly they become less effective. There is no harm in going to 60mg, but it may not work. Changing to a different medication may help. Lexapro or Pristiq may be helpful. Also, weight gain, while it happens sometimes, is unusual on Prozac.

I was thinking that maybe the weight gain was causing the prozac to be inneffective not that the prozac was causing the weight gain. Social anxiety and handling stress are my biggest concerns. Thanks. Do you still recommend the two medications above? Thank you very much.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Weight gain would not affect the effictiveness of Prozac. Yes, I would think Lexapro and Pristiq are good tries. They both treat depression and anxiety.