mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

I have been in a great realationsip for 6years now. We each

I have been in a great realationsip for 6years now. We each have an 11 yr old, who do not always get along. We have separate homes and our time together is limited. He wants to spend more time togther, but this means less time for me to spend with my daughter. She is my only child and I have her half the time while my ex has her the other half.

My daughter is the most important thing in my world, but my Love is the best I've ever had. I feel like I have to choose. He recently said that if we cannot spend more time together that he has to move on.

I don't want to loose him, and I don't want my daughter to resent me giving him more attention. I feel so very torn, and don't know what to do.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.
Good morning and welcome to Just Answer. First please allow me to say that I am sincerely XXXXX XXXXX hear of the difficulty you're experiencing. It sounds as though you're being torn in two. With all due respect for your boyfriend and for the relationship itself, it seems that he is being somewhat unreasonable asking you to choose between him and your daughter. I can sincerely XXXXX XXXXX importance of your relationship which is why my initial suggestion would be to consider couples therapy in order to work through this difficult stage. I understand that you are already in individual counseling which is wonderful as this will help you process your feelings concerning the situation. I say this due to the potential for feelings of anger and resentment toward your boyfriend for placing you in this position.

Please feel free to provide me with any additional information that could allow me to offer you further suggestions as I want to be certain that I've answered your question completely and thoroughly and that you're completely satisfied with your experience. Thank you very much for the opportunity to help you through this difficult period and I look forward to your response.