Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hi Kate. Im not sure if youve received my previous texts

Hi Kate.

I`m not sure if you`ve received my previous texts as JA seems to be having some trouble. If you have, I apologize for resending them. But they are not showing up on my end at all.

I am sitting in my home feeling so angry and sad. I want so badly to cut or go out and do the other thing that relieves my bad anxious feelings. But I need to stop but can`t. For this I am sorry.

I`m going to just say it straight out no matter how embarrassed and humilated I am going to feel........I steal things. Not expensive things or things I can`t pay for but for some reason I feel different when I do it. For just a little while, the bad feelings disappear and are replaced with a sense of control and sometimes even a bit of happiness. How is this possible. How can I feel good, even for a second about doing something so wrong.

Then I wind up feeling so regretful, remorseful and ashamed. The feeling for punishment is strong as I know what I am doing is so wrong. I feel horrible just writing it. Please, even though you don`t know me, do not think I am a bad person. Or perhaps I am. I just don`t know what to think. It is very confusing to me.

I am in tears right now because I really don`t know if I can get through this. It seems like I have so much to bear and get past. I feel weak and tired. Maybe my attacker has won and I am the big loser in this battle.

If I`ve wasted your time, I am truly sorry.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

I am not getting any replies from you except the one I answered in the last day. JA has been having problems so they may not be getting through. How you sent this request was perfect- with my name in front and put through as a request. It came through just fine. You can also just continue this thread if that helps.

Thank you for sharing your problem with me. I feel honored that you trust me enough with your feelings.

Kleptomania, which is the compulsion to steal without the need for monetary gain, is usually based in OCD or impulse control disorders. It provides a feeling of control (like you described) and helps the person relieve stress. The feelings you have inside can become so overwhelming that you need release. Because you find it difficult to release them, due to guilt, lack of self esteem and other causes, you end up with an overwhelming need to let off steam, for lack of a better word. This is where the kleptomania comes in.

Although there is no proven treatment for kleptomania, therapy does help. Also, doing what you did and acknowledging the problem is a great first step. When you can admit to the problem and share it (with trusted individuals in your life) then you have won half the battle.

What can help you is aversion therapy. Try to do something very uncomfortable when you think about stealing, such as pinching yourself (lightly). Or think about getting caught and run through the whole scenario each time you feel the need to steal.

It would also help if you find new ways to express your feelings. Right now, you can express them, but you find it unacceptable. Your self esteem is low enough where you feel prohibited from sharing, as if you are imposing on others. Building up your self esteem and seeing yourself as worthy are great ways to address the stealing as well.

Another option is a self help group. You can attend one on line so you can remain anonymous. Here is a link to help you:

http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Kleptomania/support-group

As with all things, the more you know about this disorder the better equipped you are to help yourself.

Again, thank you for sharing with me. I am available to help as much as you feel you need me to.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.