Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

my father-in-law carries a gun everywhere he goes and has recently

Customer Question

my father-in-law carries a gun everywhere he goes and has recently told my grown daughter that he might as well kill my wife and myself and then kill himself. The phychiatrist that he has been seeing for about the last 10 years since an earlier attempt to kill himself refuses to get involved. What can I do, where do I go for help before it is too late?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 3 years ago.

Ralph LMHC :

Is it legal in your state to carry a pistol

Customer:

It is legal to carry a conceled weapon only with a conceald weapon permit, whith he does not have

Ralph LMHC :

Is it legal in your state to carry a pistol. If it is not I would contact the local police and inform them. In addition, I would indicate to the psychiatrist that if he continues to take this passive approach, knowing that he has attempted suicide and that he carries a pistol, you will contact the state office of professional practice. It appears what he is doing in not reporting this patient is a violation of miinimal professional standards. This should motivate him to action. If he does not then you should contact the state office of professional practice.

Ralph LMHC :

Then you should notify the police immediately. They will probably confiscate the pistol and arrest him. This appears to be a possible life and seath situation and I advise immediatew action.

Ralph LMHC :

Is there anything further that I can help you with? If so please feel free to ask. If you are satisfied with my answer then please press the accept button.

Ralph LMHC :

Good luck, it would appear that you really have no choice.

Ralph LMHC :

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC :

Ralph LMHC

Ralph LMHC :

I am signing off, but will be back later if there is anything further you wish to discuss.

Customer:

We live in Jacksonville Fl. His son, my brother-in-law, wants us to go before a judge and have the Baker Act filed. My concern is what will happen if they keep him the 72 hours and then he is out and angry that we did this. He lives on the same rural property with my wife and I.We love him and don't want him hurt but now I fear what he could do if and when he returns here to his home of the last 27 years. He is 73 years old and in very good physical health, much better than I.

Customer:

How would I go about fileing a complaint with the Fl. state office of professional practice.

Ralph LMHC :

I am not a lawyer, but in most states he would be incarcerated for committing a felony.

Ralph LMHC :

There is no perfect solution. But in action is not a very good option.

Ralph LMHC :

If you call the state licensing board which is probably located in Talahassee, they will tell you how to file a complaint, but first I would suggest that you inform the psychiatrist of your intentions if he does not act to prompt. The local district attorney's office may be of some assistance.You say he lives on the same property, but you do not say the same house. An order of Protection may be of use. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is in my opinion that you must take some action.

Customer:

He does not live in the same house, he lives in a trailor 100 ft. from our house inside our yard on my property. I just spoke with him and asked if he really meant it when he told our daughter he was going to kill us. As if we were discussing the weather or fishing, he matter of factly said that when he had enought of everything bothering him he was going to kill me and my wife. That he could do it with out any trouble and there was no way I could stop him and after killing us he would go kill the other people on his list and then come home and wait to have a shootout with the police. It is very clear to me now that I must take legal action and I will no longer feel guilty about having to do this.

Customer:

Just wanted to let you know what has happened so far. The police were contacted and they initially responded with 4 officers, which quickly grew to 8 officers. They decided to call in a negotiator and the swat team. It all took more than six hours, but in the end my father-in-law surrendered and was placed in a mental health facility for observation under the Fl. Bakers Act. I am now going to the court house to obtain an order of protection in the event it is needed upon his release. I am prepared to deal with any other legal issues that may arise from this. Thank you so much for your help, it very likely saved our lives.

Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience: 20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

am so glad that it turned out the best it could and that I could be of assistance. If you are up to it, I would still file a complaint against the reluctant (to be kind) psychiatrist who I believe did not follow appropriate procedures.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC