Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

Is it bad to take Zoloft while pregnant I suffer from Generalized

Is it bad to take Zoloft while pregnant? I suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder and have been on it for years. It changed my life (for the better). I want to get pregnant but I do not want to stop taking the drugs because I never want to go back to feeling how horrible I felt before the meds.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Zoloft is classified as class C during pregnancy, meaning animal studies show potential risks but there is inadequate data to know if harmful during pregnancy. Recently, law firms have been advertising to sue if you have been on antidepressants during pregnancy and not had a "perfect baby". There are a number of categories identified as potential risks to fetus is take Zoloft during pregnancy. Most risk seems to be 1st trimester, but you also need to understand it does appear in breast milk. Usually, these decisions are made on case by case basis evaluating risk of you not having treatment versus risk to fetus. You should not make any decisions based on this info {altho' it is accurate], but you must include your doctors (OB-GYN and Psychiatry and evaluate it carefully