Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

My daughter is in London at the moment and just contacted me to say she thnks she is pregn

My daughter is in London at the moment and just contacted me to say she thnks she is pregnant but she is on 30mgs of Cymbalta a day for anxiety. It says not t take cymbalta during pregnancy because it causes birth defects. She has already lost two babies, not while on cymbalta but she is in a high risk category for spina bifida and downe syndrome. She wants to know how quickly she can stop taking the cymbalta. Can you please answer immediately if possible. Much appreciated. My daughter is 34 years old nd has two sons.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

At 30 mg. she should be able to just stop. It is about the lowest dose one can be on. She may have discomfort for a few days, but at this low of dose there is no way to taper it and it shouldn't cause any problems. The alternatives for treating anxiety during Pregnancy are very controversial, but just stopping the Cymbalta at this dose is as easy as stopping cymbalta gets. I suspect she will have no problems unless her anxiety returns, which should not be confused with discontinuation of Cymbalta. DO NOT SPLIT CAPSULES OR DO EVERY OTHER DAY> WILL CAUSE INCREASED SIDE EFFECTS>

Thank you for the advice. I have sent it to my daughter. Let's keep out fingers crossed that she actually isn't pregnant and that her cycle is just upset from all the fly

ing thank you once again.

Linda McHutchison