TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

i have depression with psychosis, i am struggling to remember

i have depression with psychosis, i am struggling to remember stuff and cant concentrate azt all, i feel like i have dementia,is this possible or just the depression at work, ieel v distressed by this and have just lost my job as a nurse because of this

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is possible that this is just the depression. The symptoms of depression include difficulty thinking clearly and inability to concentrate on tasks that you once found easy. This includes trouble focusing and remembering things. Add on the psychosis symptoms and you are dealing with a lot.

If you are in treatment and on medications, you could also be experiencing side effects from your medicine. Many medications have strong side effects. You will notice this especially if you just changed medications or started a new one. It takes a while for your body to adapt so you may experience side effects for at least a few weeks until your body adjusts.

You may want to try talking to your doctor about any medication side effects to see if that might be the cause. You could try a different medication. Also, be sure you are eating a good diet that provides enough nutrients to offset the stress you are experiencing. Enough sleep and downtime is important as well. There are some supplements you can try that are known to increase your serotonin levels and help you feel better. Check with your doctor before trying it:

1000 mg of Omega 3, 10 mg Zinc,100 mg Magnesium glycinate and 100 mg calcium

If you are not already in therapy, you may want to try that as well. It will help you have a chance to vent your feelings and reduce your stress.

Here are some resources that may help:

Overcoming Depression One Step at a Time: The New Behavioral Activation Approach to Getting Your Life Back by Michael E., Ph.D. Addis and Christopher R. Martell

Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression, 2nd Edition, Completely Revised and Updated by Joseph J. Luciani

The 10 Best-Ever Depression Management Techniques: Understanding How Your Brain Makes You Depressed and What You Can Do to Change It by Margaret Wehrenberg

You can find these on or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I also struggle with anxiety which started just before i became unwell. Is this a separate disorder or is it part of depression as it has not gone away??
what do you think are the best treatments for anxiety I have tried
cbt but not found it helpful. My anxiety is in social situations , talking to people in authority, meeting new people and sometimes for no obvious reason at all. I am sick of it and it is , as well as the depression, really restricting my life, prior to 4 years ago i was quite resilant and thought to be strong emotionally, then my daughter was sexually abused by her grandfather who shot himself because of it. Since then I have been a bit of a mess really

Anxiety can be part of depression, but only if it is considered minor in it's symptoms. If you feel your anxiety is just as much an issue as your depression and the symptoms are disruptive enough in your life to cause you distress, then you may have a separate diagnosis of anxiety.

The type of anxiety you describe is social anxiety. But I am wondering if you also may have symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, not necessarily the disorder itself, but just symptoms. Your anxiety started after a major trauma, which is usually how PTSD starts. And finding out your daughter was abused then having the abuser kill himself is a lot of trauma.

Have you seen anyone to help you figure out what kind of anxiety you are dealing with? That may help you know how to treat it. CBT is usually very effective with anxiety. But it is not a cure all. Therapists who combine therapy types, called Eclectic, may be more effective for you. That type of therapy uses a little bit from different psychological theories to tailor the therapy to the client. I find that helps clients more since it fits their needs rather than forcing them into a certain type of therapy.

Self help at home is something else you can try. It is sometimes as effective as therapy. There are many resources that can help you, including books, self help groups (on line and in person), tapes and on line resources. Here are some to get you started:

The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy by John P. Forsyth and Georg H. Eifert

A Life Less Anxious: Freedom from panic attacks and social anxiety without drugs or therapy by Steve Pavilanis and Patricia Alma Lee

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this gives you some options. If you should want to talk again, I would be happy to help!