AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.
55589990

I have been biting my finger nails to the quick since I was

I have been biting my finger nails to the quick since I was 4 years old. I alco get eczema on my hands and between my fingers and when the skin dries I bite it off.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  AgapeDoc replied 3 years ago.

AgapeDoc :

Thanks for contacting Just Answer. Let me see if I can help here...

AgapeDoc :

It is my goal to answer your question and exceed your expectations. If you are satisfied with my efforts will you click on the green accept button?

Customer:

Are you there? Can I do anything?

AgapeDoc :

Yes I am here....

AgapeDoc :

AgapeDoc :

OK... Let me see if I can help....

AgapeDoc :

I have read you post and your comments on what you have already tried and I must admit that I am a bit baffled that your efforts have not been fruitful :(

AgapeDoc :

It seems that with the many things you have tried, you would have been able to modify your behavior at this point. You mentioned that you tried Cognitive Therapy, I am going to assume it was Cognitive Behavior Therapy. This is usually a very good intervention to help shape behavior such as you are dealing with......

AgapeDoc :

So.....

AgapeDoc :

.... I must say that this is somewhat challenging, but.......

AgapeDoc :

.... That doesn't mean that all hope is lost...

Customer:

I meant to say cognitive behavior therapy.

AgapeDoc :

That's what I thought......... I have had clients over the years with similar issues that they just couldn't address and there are two things that have worked for them that you did not mention and both are extremely effective....

AgapeDoc :

.... I am not a big fan of medications, but sometimes they are necessary. And with a issue such as you are dealing with it is possible that a very low dose may be just "what the doctor ordered" LOL

AgapeDoc :

The kind of medication and the dose I will leave up to you and your attending physician, but many time a medication that is used for obsessive compulsive behavior works wonders in situations such as you are dealing with. I would say if you are going to take this route to continue to incorporate Cognitive Behavior Therapy as well. You may be able to stop the meds after a brief time as well :)

Customer:

I'm on a few meds. because I'm bipolar this includes depakote,lamictal,doxepin and temazepam prn.

AgapeDoc :

The other thing that has been even more successful for my clients in similar situations is hypnotherapy. I am not a certified hypnotherapist, but I have seem wonderful results from hypnotherapy. I would only say to make sure you see a Certified Hypnotherapist.

AgapeDoc :

The more I process your issue, and read what you have written, the more I think this may the way to go for you.

AgapeDoc :

You can continue to see your Cognitive Behavior Therapist as well, but I think this could be the answer you are looking for.

AgapeDoc :

How am I doing?

Customer:

I've tried closing my eyes,relaxation and visualation.Is this the same thing?

Customer:

You're being patient as well as helpful.

AgapeDoc :

It's similar, but not quite the same as working with a Certified Hypnotherapist. A hypnotherapist will use these and other techniques, but will take you so much further and address you specific issue you will be amazed :)

AgapeDoc :

Thank you for your kind words :)

AgapeDoc :

If you have more questions go ahead and post them here. But if you are satisfied with my efforts please don't forget to click on the green accept button - but only if you are satisfied.

Customer:

You're being patient and helpful. I just needed to adress the problem with another therapist. I'll let you go soon.I promise.

AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience: Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.